Tuesday, May 24, 2011

TCB - Tylenol, Vitamin C and Borax - mixed and ready to go

I finalized my mix, part A and part B, and are ready to go, I have one film ready to be developed and several in camera, ready to meet their destiny.

I took the opportunity to measure pH as I went along and mixed the ingredients, hopefully this can give Michael and me a better insight and what actions to take, as soon as (if) I meet with failure.
I changed a few bits as I went along, but only practical things that should not matte over all.

here goes:

Part A

Started with 75 ml room temperature water.
Added 2 gram Sodium bicarbonate (Natron)  .......................  pH  8.0
Added 6 gram Ascorbic acid (fizzled, slight green mix) ......  pH 4.4
Added 4 gram Tylenol (paracetamol, Paracet) crushed  .......   no measurement
Added water to 100 ml .........................................................   no measurement
Added  4 gram Lye (Caustic soda, NaOH) ...........................  pH 11.9

Let this stand for 72 hours, there was slurry on the bottom from tylenol-tablet ingredients, this did not dissolve unlike my SALS13 experiment (stronger lye concentration, more fluid....), and the color remained a turbid yellow, unlike my SALS13 experiment where the tylenol mix turned wine-red and even dark brown red. I take this as a sign that the sodium bicarbonate and ascorbic acid worked in unison to protect the tylenol from oxidizing entirely and be spent in soliution before being used at all.

The 100ml tylenol mix was the used to make Part A :

Tylenol mix   100ml ........................................ pH 11.9
Water to 425ml   
Added ascorbic acid   10 gram ....................... pH  8.5
Added Borax  20 gram  .................................. 
Water to 500 ml   ............................................ pH 8.8


part A ios now ready for use with a pH around 8.8


Part B :

Water temepered    600 ml
Added 15 ml KBr 10% mix, for 1,5 gram
Added Borax 30 gram this was har to dissolve, so I heated in a water bath.
Added water to 1000 ml stirred well and heated  ..............pH 9.3

part B is now ready for use after temperature comes down

I have two parts, pH 8.8 and 9.3 respectively. I expect the resulting pH will be around pH 9.1 after mixing.

I will mix up a solution of 1 part A and 2 parts B and store it in a bottle, planning to use that like ordinary, undiluted D76 for at least 6 films

The remainder will first be mixed 1 part a and 2 parts B and used as a single use developer, I will try that first to get a feel for this.

Planning to start with a Kodak Gold 200, exposed 1, -1 and + 1 for 12 images worth on a 36 exp film, and compare this to the similarly exposed Gold 200 that I did last night in Cafenol CM, the 5 film in a brew of 500 ml.

The objective here is both to find out if this developer is suited to repeated use, ore one-shot use, and wether it gives full box speed.  Lots of work ahead.  (need to find time after a local football match to upload pictures from the last 5 films developed in the cafenol-brew, but football gets the priority - a good source for more pictures!)

No comments:

Post a Comment