Sunday, May 1, 2011

PCM + C-41 ... Good Results

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm trying to standardize on using PCM one-shot developer now.  This developer works very well for stand development due to the buffered alkali and potassium bromide.  My results so far using both standard and stand development have been very good.  What's been bugging me is my stash of Kodak Gold 200 in the freezer.  It's expired and I don't feel like spending on colour development, I have developed it in the past with Rodinal, Caffenol-C, and PCC, but I wanted to see if I could make it work with my "new" standard developer.  Based on my past experience developing C-41 film in B&W chemicals I figured that sticking with stand development was a good bet.  Here is what I got from a test today (it's raining outside so we're back in the messy basement ... sorry):

Kodak Gold 200 @ EI 400, PCM full stand for 1h
As in my previous posts, this image is an un-processed straight scan re-sized and converted to JPEG.  I get a full histogram, good highlights, good contrast, and a +1 push.  There's more grain than proper B&W film but this is my best so far with C-41 processed in B&W chems. It looks like I may finally be able to use my stash with good results.

MM
--

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm I need to find myself some phenidoner...

    But I was wondering if you could elaborate a little on this glycol stuff - is that the same as std ww2 merlin engine coolant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely worth the hassle of getting phenidone ... it will open up many possibilities as you already have the other ingredients. Propylene glycol is used in environmentally friendly automotive engine coolant (mixed with other ingredients) and food refrigeration systems so it could very well be what was used in tanks. I get mine from the local pharmacy for $8/L. There's more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

    ReplyDelete